The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. -Tom Clancy

Monday, March 26, 2012

I Need Help

I have a question for my writing, and I'd really like some input. My story Realms (the first scene of Chapter 1 is in Writing) has a prologue. I need it to start pretty far in the past- over six generations- long enough that the species can build up a new history, get traditions, master their magic, and pretty much forget about the past. So how long should I make that time gap be between the death of one species in the prologue and the whole history of another in Chapter 1? I have 2073 years right now, but I'm worried that's too long.

Please comment with advice.

3 comments:

  1. I think it should be maybe about 1000 years because if you think about it, 1000 years ago was 1912 and a LOT has changed since then. I htink 1000-1200 years should be fine. Just remember not to go too overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing- thanks!!

    (and 1912 was only a hundred years ago. Or maybe I just slept for a really long time. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1912 Was actually only 100 years ago. That would be about one or two generations. For all of the time they need to set their traditions and all that, the more time you give, the more stuff you can fit in. Therefore I believe that you should keep it at 2073 years ago, if not any longer. It is not a light subject for an entire species to forgive/ forget. Just a considerarion! :)

    ReplyDelete