The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. -Tom Clancy

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Editing

I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. ~ Oscar Wilde

It's a love-hate relationship with editing. I have to bribe myself to do it. For me, that means I go downstairs at fifteen minute intervals to sneak a snack, and I have to keep the radio on so that I'll stay in my room without sneaking downstairs to post something on my blog. But there is something supremely satisfying about making everything work just right.

On that note, whoever said a story is "cute" or "sweet" probably never saw the author viciously editing it.

Thanks to JK and Miranda for commenting on my dilemma. It actually started with Mrs. Blythe- I showed her my prologue and the first thing she said was, "And how is this relevant to the rest of the story?" when she saw 2063 years later. She also said that she hated the main character in the prologue, too because he was such a coward. I don't see how that's relevant- I kill him at the end anyway. But I still really appreciate feedback, and I need to see from every angle!

A double thanks to JK for enduring a fifteen-minute texting conversation about it. I broke the two laws of texting while doing so: 1- the texts have to be really short 2- the conversation has to be completely pointless. I hope all the phone-obsessed teenagers don't come after me!

I also owe Miranda a double thanks for emailing me about some advice on the first scene in Chapter 1. I need every piece of advice I can get!

Happy spring break,
Kirah

3 comments:

  1. Vicious editing... that can be deadly. Once I was frustrated to a point where I shredded my story. Thus ending The Lefoku Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Smooth, JK! Remind me to show you what I've done to chapter 2 of Realms on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only edited any of my stories once- books one and two of a series and all the editing I did was to change it from 3rd pov to 2nd. I haven't even touched the grammar or idea edits yet!

    ReplyDelete