The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. -Tom Clancy

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Character Development

"Character is the real foundation of all worthwhile success." -John Hays Hammond
My dad and I were talking in the care a few weeks ago about writing. Dad said he's more of a plot writer- that's why he likes writing short stories. (I love my dad's writing, by the way. He's always been my #1 inspiration.) I said I'm more of a character writer and that's why I like writing novels.

Character development is a wonderful thing in stories; it lets you watch a character change. Sometimes they rise from the depths of mistrust and hatred and become everything we dreamed of. At other times, they plumment into a suspicious, regretful character. Either way, when characters change, it stays with us. That's what makes us, well, that's what makes me, reread books- for the shock of watching any character change once again from what they were at chapter one to what they become by chapter twenty. Character development is what makes things memorable, in my opinion.

Okay, think about the most horrible, terrible, the absolutely worst thing that's ever happened to you. After that, did you act the same for something? Did your opinion on something change? When someone says something or does something amazing/harmful, doesn't the way you treat them change?

If your characters are real to you, they will do the same. A good way to drastically change your characters/overall outcome of the story is to kill someone. Yes, it's horrible, it's bloody, but think about it. When it comes to writing, all of the best are murderers. (It counts as murder if you edit like I do.)

Hope this helped! Happy April 29!

Kirah

1 comment: