The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. -Tom Clancy

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Characters

Let's face it: as people, we have flaws. We have pet peeves. We don't get along with others all the time. We yell. We get annoyed. The human mind is a scary thing, and I rarely find an author brave or skilled enough to conquer it. Of course, it's also very hard. And, as people, we want to believe that we are all brave little heroes inside that run around with sharp objects to save the world.
Um, nope. Not me, at least. I could probably try running around with a sharp object, but I would probably trip. That would not only be messy, but also kind of embarrassing. I understand that we have to idealize people a little bit, or else all the heroes would've run away and left the damsels in distress sitting there with the villain.

There are a few things that make fictional characters a little bit more believable:
1. We aren't black and white good and evil. Actually, this usually isn't a problem with good guys, but with the antagonist.
2. Most people stumble. I happen to do this a lot more than normal people. However, if you do happen to make your characters trip, please make sure they aren't holding anything sharp.
3. At least someone hates your main character. I have a certain type of personality that grates on my nerves, and I hope I'm not the only one.
4. Everyone makes bad decisions and messes up.

In my writing, I need to improve on this, too. I have written one character that makes a lot of bad choices, and sometimes he rises to the top, but he also crashes and burns. It makes writing interesting. As for the rest of my characters, I really need to polish some of them a little bit more.
Hope this helped!

Kirah

1 comment: