The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. -Tom Clancy

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Excuses, Excuses...

"I have this little litany of things they [writers] can do. And the first one, of course, is to write- every day, no excuses. It's so easy to make excuses. Even professional writers have days when they'd rather clean the toilet than do the writing." -Octavia Butler

Okay, I've hit rock bottom. I have to write, I need to write, I want to write. But I go upstairs to do so and I decide that I'll read some of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society first or listen to the Writing Excuses podcast or I'll try to beat my high score on Temple Run.

What can I say? I'm a professional procrastinator.

So instead of me talking about how to get back in the mode, why don't you guys comment and tell me how you get motivated? I want to get some ideas. It'll be fun. Please post!

Kirah

1 comment:

  1. I tell myself I can't read my favorite book (Kissed by an Angel by Elizabeth Chandler) or watch tv or listen to my favorite music until I have at least four pages written. (Or lately- since I'm retyping Beyond the Unknown- I tell myself I can't write what I want until I have at least four microsoft words pages typed up. which equals about 6 book pages...)

    ReplyDelete