The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. -Tom Clancy

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To the Edge and Beyond

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." -Mahatama Ghandi

We ran the 5K at school today. Or I ran it; almost all my friends walked it at a seperate time. My thoughts on the 5K:

Run. Must run. Listen to the music.

It was actually pretty eventful- Mikey lost his shoe, I gave a dramatic "Go on without me!" speech and we ate popsicles even though it was only 60 degrees outside.

How this applies to writing: everyone has a limit. I have a running limit, an anger limit, a fatigue limit, and an overall This Is It Limit. As your story progresses, try to push your characters beyond anything they've ever done. Break your character. Smash him into the ground. Because character development is extremely important, and watching them change, for the better or worse, is what makes a story memorable for me. If a character truly changes, I enjoy reading a book again just to compare who he/she was at first to the finished product. So push your character. Snap them in half. Does it make me a bad person if I enjoy it?

On another subject, I've reached page 18 of Stark's backstory, and I think I'll have to rewrite the whole thing. I left out so many details! Anyone want to give me extra motivation?

Two days left of school,
Kirah

No comments:

Post a Comment