The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. -Tom Clancy

Monday, June 4, 2012

Odd Inspiration

"I don't believe in writer's block and neither should you. Writing is a job just like anything else. The guy at Subway isn’t allowed to get sandwich block, you shouldn’t let a word drought keep you down." -Sean Platt

I have to admit, inspiration is odd and unpredictable. But, as I have said, my writer's block finally broke, and I wrote. And wrote. And wrote. And stared out the window. For the record, that is a great way to spend an airplane ride. Plus I finished reading Shadow of the Hegemon.

But my real inspiration for writing was a book called My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. There is no other book in the universe that created such a burning desire in me to create: to show darkness and light, to rise and plummet, to change and learn, to destroy and remake. I have this continuous urge to write. I have to finish Stark's backstory before I start Realms; I don't even have to have it edited. It just has to be done. I know that much.

I have had a lot of odd inspirations. Realms came from two sources: Take Two (an easier version of Scrabble) and a picture. The picture was of a boy with black hair and wings and blue eyes that lived in the clouds. I had actually been imagining things with people like him in it before, where the plot centered around two halfbreed boys who never quite fit in. I did that quite constantly, creating characters from pictures or video games and using them in my imagination.

Then I was playing Take Two with my cousin, and we were determined to build the whole puzzle with only names. I accidently spelled Peter like Pieter. My cousin first pointed it out, and I jokingly said, "Yes, Pi-eter!" (pronounced Puh-eater) "His dad wanted a dog named Pip; and he was the compromise!"

Now, two years later, there is a character with blonde hair, blue wings, and wide blue eyes (I stole the idea of having wider eyes from my friend, who had super big eyes back then). His name is P'eter- simplified from Pi-eter to make the pronunciation consistent with the spelling. He is also a halfbreed: half human, half Realmer. His father is determined to keep P'eter quiet so that his political career can excell as far as it can, even though it's illegal to have a halfbreed son. Oh, and they live in the Third Realmhome. In the clouds.

So, is there such thing as a stupid idea? No. Just write, and enjoy what you're doing. As long as you love what you're writing, what else matters? You can go back and make it perfect later; for now, just enjoy yourself. And don't forget that.

Kirah

P.S. I will be gone Thursday-Saturday. I might not be able to do much posting during June because I'll be gone a lot.

P.P.S. Here are some writing quotes to provide you with some inspiration if you need it. I have only read a few, but I enjoy them. Tell me what you think!

http://ghostwriterdad.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Inspiring-Quotes.pdf

1 comment: